Thursday 28 February 2013

PTR: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Preview)

I have the luxury to actually have a demo to share my thoughts on, so this is going to be a very special PTR!



Now, I am a huge fan of Monster Hunter 3 for the wii. I logged in sooooo many hours offline and online on that game.  The monsters were breathtaking, the gameplay was fun and varied, and the game was so deep with tons of different equipment, items, armour sets and weapons.  The game also had lag-free online, which was amazing, as well as being a very lengthy game overall.  This is a remake of that wii game, now with more monsters, weapons, items, online modes and other awesome stuff to warrant a $60 price tag.  I have been very excited for this game and it's releasing March 19th....THE DAY AFTER LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER.  Yeah, those two days will be VERY good days for me.  Anyways, onto the demo. 

Lagombi
Plesioth
The game features two quests to embark on:  The Lagombi and the Plesioth.  The Lagombi is the easier quest in the snow tundra, while the plesioth is the harder quest set underwater.  They give you 20 minutes and pre-set armour and item sets for each of the 20 classes in the game, all of which are available in the demo.  Now, for the monsters themselves, they were pretty good.  While none felt really unique, they were a bunch of fun to fight against and their moves were pretty cool.  I do like the Plesioth more, because he reminds me of Titanosaurus, a monster from the Godzilla franchise.  His attacks are also a bit more unique, as the Lagombi just kinda spins around and hurls snowballs.  In order to accurately say my opinion of this game, Ill go through every weapon class briefly and say whether it is a good match for each of the monsters (either a + or a -) and how I liked or disliked some of the new ones.  



Sword and Shield:  I used this a lot in MH3 and it's stayed virtually the same.  It has good attack, high agility and even a shield for quick defends.  It has a short reach though, so its very monster specific.  Lagombi +, Plesioth -.  

Lance:  Another class I used a lot in MH3, it has also not changed in the slightest.  It has a very long reach, good attack and a very sturdy shield, but it is very slow.  Overall though this can be used for virtually any type of monster.  Lagombi +, Plesioth +. 

Hammer:  Im not the biggest fan of the hammer,  It was in tri (MH3), but i never used it at all.  Its extremely slow, no shield to speak of, and has the shortest reach of any weapon.  If you want power I guess go with this, but I don't see it.  Lagombi +, Plesioth -.  

Long Sword:  The staple weapon for the franchise, it has fantastic attack, long reach, and can even defend.  It is inherently slow, but not nearly as slow as the hammer.  A great weapon for all beginner monster hunters and veterans alike.  Lagombi +, Plesioth +.

Switch Axe:  A very versatile weapon, being able to switch between the main, axe, hammer type gameplay, and the long sword type gameplay.  It has good attack but the combos are a bit hard to pull off.  People who spend time with this though will be rewarded greatly.  Lagombi +, Plesioth +.

Gun lance:  This is the first new type of weapon for me, and it was actually pretty nice.  It has lance gameplay, minus the length of the lance combos, but you are able to press a at any time and fire a very short range bullet.  This essentially turns into a "jab then shoot" gameplay, which is pretty cool.  Because these are bullets, you can even have poison coatings and such, which is useful because non-gunners never get to use those.  Lagombi +, Plesioth +. 

Dual swords:  Aw yeah, this thing was awesome.  The number of attacks this thing was able to deal out was crazy, and you can fill up a meter then go extra damage mode for even more!  An absolute blast to play with, but with no real defense and a short reach.  But get the right monsters and this thing will DECIMATE your opponents.  Lagombi +, Plesioth -. 

Light bowgun:  Absolute crap.  The bullets they give you are waaay too weak, and the gun itself adds so little damage!  Its barely even an agility upgrade from the heavy bowgun, and that was the only thing going for it.  I COULDN'T EVEN KILL THE LAGOMBI!  Lagombi -, Plesioth -. 

Heavy bowgun:  A huge improvement over it's light counterpart.  The bullets are strong, the gun itself looks cool, and its the only option anyone should even consider when picking a gunner type (excluding bow).  Lagombi +, Plesioth +.  

War Horn:  I...just dont get it.  They have these music note, things(?) that chain your attacks, and let you poison and paralyze your monster.  I have no idea how this works, but the combos were dreadful and I hated every moment of this.  It has a super amount of power though.  Lagombi -, Plesioth -. 

Bow:  The class I personally was most excited for.  It took a while for me to figure it out, but once I did I rather enjoyed myself.  It's bullets are very satisfying and Ill have to see the damage in the full game to see if it stacks up.  Lagombi +, Plesioth -.  

Katana:  This one was in tri, and has actually changed.  They've somewhat nerfed it, making it so pulling off your ultra combos isn't as easy as in tri.  Regardless, its still a ton of fun to play with, and even lacking defense has the range, mobility and power to stand toe-to-toe with any monster.  Lagombi +, Plesioth +.  

So that's all the weapons in the game.  Overall I was pleased with most of the newcomers, and am excited to pick out my favourites from the bunch in the full game.  Do I have any major concerns with this game?  Well for one the graphics have basically stayed the same.  They added shadows and small details, but the environments feel exactly the same and it's a shame considering the jump in power between the Wii and Wiiu.  Also they didn't tell you ANYTHING in this demo.  Nothing on the specifics for each weapon and how to use them, which is mind blowingly stupid, considering how many newcomers there will be to this series.  in the full game they most likely will explain things, but for now Capcom dun goofed in that department.  

But even still, the moment I first saw the Plesioth gave me that awe and wonder I felt in the original.  I simply cannot wait for this new game to rekindle my love for Monster Hunter, and I'm sure it'll do just that.  

Nest post:  Top 5: Wii to WiiU Sequels

No comments:

Post a Comment